Greetings from the Outer Banks of North Carolina! We’ve been here for two days and are having a blast. We’re staying in a small, second story, walk-up condo on the beach that we’ve rented for the past few years, and though everything about it is the same as usual, it feels vastly different to me.
- In past years, the two flights of very steep steps caused me to make several rest stops on my way up. Now, I swiftly spring right up them without breaking a sweat or panting like a puppy!
- While cooking healthy meals for us, I’ve finally become acquainted with the very well-appointed kitchen of this place and realize that the owners did a fabulous job of it with wonderful, high-end, accoutrements.
- The cost of one week of groceries is practically equivalent to what my husband and I would spend on a nice meal out with wine, appetizers, entrée, and dessert. We’re saving money!
- Reaching the beach used to be a major ordeal for me, even though it only requires climbing the steps that go over a dune in front of the condo. Now, I’m up those steps like a shot, and I can help my husband carry our beach stuff. Last time, I could barely carry myself!
- My goals and priorities while here have enormously shifted. In the past, it was all about where we would eat. Now, it’s all about what activities we can do that will keep us physically fit. We’ve been doing plenty of beach walking, and swimming. My big goal is to go to Jockey’s Ridge State Park and climb the giant sand dunes. I haven’t done this since I was a kid, and for the past decade have stayed back while the rest of my family has enjoyed it. Tomorrow, we’re planning to conquer the dunes and I feel very excited and emotional about meeting this long-time goal. (I’ll be taking plenty of pictures!)
I hope all of my readers have an excellently gorgeous day!
In the meantime, here are a few shots of the beach area in front of the condo: