There are several codes that have made an impression on me.
- There’s Dexter’s code of killing only those who deserve it.
- In the movie Zombieland, Columbus had a code for surviving the Zombie Apocalypse.
- Hammurabi created a code that covered everything from food to religion.
- The Samurais had the Seven Virtues of Bushido to follow as their code.
- Dan Brown made us ponder the traditional version of the Bible in The Da Vinci Code.
- Dr. Phil McGraw has a plethora of acronyms and tips for avoiding bad people in his book Life Code.
- Even good old Samuel Morse created a useful code for us.
My code for living isn’t quite as complicated as all of these. I don’t have the stomach for killing, the agility for Samurai-ing, the Texas witticisms of Dr. Phil, or the memory to decipher dots and dashes. (Heck, I can barely remember my gym locker combination!)
Part of my code looks like the rule chart in my old classroom:
- Treat others as you would want to be treated
- Respect yourself, the people, and things around you
- Always try your best
- Ask for help when you need it
- Keep your work area clean and neat
Another section resembles the rules at an amusement park:
- Have fun!
- Go easy on the cotton candy
- Keep arms legs and objects inside of the car at all times
- Hold onto the safety bar when the ride gets bumpy
The final section of my code could be right out of a self-help book:
- Discover your bliss
- Feed your soul
- Appreciate the little things
- Stay connected to the power of positivity
- Accept yourself and others as they are
- Let go of the past
- Forgive with all of your heart
This post is in response to the Daily Prompt. Do you have a code for living? What is it?
Here’s my very intelligent husband’s response.
And…some other lovely people who participated:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- LOVE, SEX AND SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES [Reblog] | She Writes
- Life | Kate Murray
- Texting Or Talking? | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: I Walk the Line | The WordPress C(h)ronicle
- Daily Prompt: I Walk the Line | mayeverydayahappyday
- Revelation | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Patriot | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- DP Daily Prompt: I Walk the Line | Sabethville
- Don’t be a d*ck. | thoughtsofrkh
- Walk the Line: Daily Prompt | ALIEN AURA’S BLOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- do your best and leave the rest to fortuosity | eastelmhurst.a.go.go
- This teacher’s code | One Educator’s Life
- Cherish Time | wisskko’s blog
- rivington | yi-ching lin photography
- Daily Prompt: I Walk the Line | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- My codes: A photo essay | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- [M.M.X.I.V. 89] Texts, letters, talking | Never A Worry
- Daily Prompt: I Walk the Line | seikaiha’s blah-blah-blah
- Respect The Artist, Respect The Work | Goodnight Hestia
- Creed « Averil Dean
- Daily Prompt: I Walk The Line-Psychology: Understanding Why We Do What We Do | Journeyman
- Values For Sheen | Flowers and Breezes
- Codes 1, 2, and 3 | Among the Whispers
- What’s My Line(s)? | The Zombies Ate My Brains
- 287. The Moral Compass | Barely Right of Center
- Walking the Mommy Line While out on Business Travel « psychologistmimi
- What Would Life Be without Them? | Ms. Raven Marie
- Daily Prompt: I Walk the Line | Completely Disappear
- A Marauder May be a Good Person in Disguise | Virginia Views
- Daily Prompt: I Walk the Line | My Atheist Blog
- We all have values | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Taking Off My Shoes | Kosher Adobo
- Difference Engine | Speculative Paradigm Shifts
- life… ruless hahahaha.. it is wrekless | from dusk to dawn….
- Staying in Focus: Daily Prompt: I Walk the Line: Love Will Keep Us Together | Staying in Focus
- I Walk the Line (Daily Prompt) | Roving Bess
- I Walk the Line | The Nameless One
- Having power is not nearly as important as what you choose to do with it | An Upturned Soul
- Daily prompt – i walk the line | myjourneyeveryday
- There is a Bigger Picture.. | B.Kaotic
- Pizza’s and Such! | Views Splash!
- “Have You Done Your Chores?” | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Where is the Line? | cateritforward
- Live life! | Always was a rebel…
- Daily Prompt: I Walk the Line | Bob’s Blog-O-Rama
- Daily Prompt: I walk the line | Simply about Life
- Divergent in Photography and Thought | Pairings :: Art + What Goes With It
- An Uncomplicated Code | The Ravenously Disappearing Woman